PayPal Releases 2019 Global Impact Report
As the company took action to address the impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic,
"The responsibility of corporations has moved beyond simply delivering shareholder profits. The growing expectation from stakeholders is that companies need to take action to effect positive social and environmental impact. Purpose and profit are becoming increasingly intertwined," said
- Social Innovation:
PayPalcontributes to a more inclusive global economy by improving financial health, powering charitable giving, and strengthening its communities. In 2019, PayPal:
- Leveraged the power of its giving platform to process
$16 billionin contributions, including well over $10 billionin contributions to charitable causes, from more than 40 million people around the world.
- Utilized the power of its global workforce for good with employee giving and volunteer programs, including more than 43% of employees participating globally in the
Kivalending campaign – empowering ~10,000 entrepreneurs across 36 countries.
- Developed products and services to help individuals and businesses improve their financial health, including the
PayPalCommerce Platform and PayPal's business financing solutions, as well as investments in companies driving financial wellness.
- Employees & Culture:
PayPalfosters a strong employee-centered culture that is reinforced by its core values of Collaboration, Inclusion, Innovation, and Wellness. During 2019, PayPal:
- Made it a strategic priority to strengthen the financial health of its employees by establishing an Employee Financial Wellness Program. Through this program,
PayPalraised wages, expanded benefits, reduced healthcare costs, and gave every employee an ownership stake in the company.
- Maintained 100% pay equity for women globally and ethnic pay parity in the
U.S.for the fourth year in a row, and advocated for inclusive public policies such as signing onto amicus briefs in support of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
- Continued to build a diverse and inclusive workforce through programs such as Conscious Inclusion Training, completed by over 90% of all global employees.
PayPal's total diversity in 2019 was 57% globally, and experienced a 6% year-over-year increase in females in tech roles and 12% increase in ethnic minorities at Director+ roles since 2015.
- Environmental Sustainability:
PayPalis focused on responsibly managing and reducing its environmental impact. Over the past year, PayPal:
- Matched 65% of the energy in data centers with renewable generation, representing significant progress toward the company's goal of 100% by 2023.
- Made meaningful progress toward setting a Science-Based target to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions that aligns with the Paris Climate Agreement, and joined the United for
Pariscoalition to reinforce support for meeting the goals set forth in the agreement.
- Brought together passionate employees to volunteer their time and talent to address climate-related issues and develop innovative, sustainable products, including the development and launch of the iZettle Ocean Reader: the world's first card reader made from recycled ocean plastic.
- Responsible Business Practices:
PayPal's approach to operating its business is one that is ethical and responsible, including:
- Partnering with organizations to combat global financial crimes, including Polaris to fight and disrupt human trafficking cash flows and the Center on Crime and Community Resilience at
Northeastern Universityand the University of Chicago Crime Labto better understand the financing mechanisms of illegal firearm sales.
- Continuing to build a strong culture focused on customer privacy and security, including certifying its information security program to ISO 27001 standards.
- Continuing to evaluate it approach to privacy and identify ways to best protect customer data through its eight privacy principles that serve as the basis or enterprise-wide standards for collecting, using, disclosing, storing, securing, accessing, transferring, and processing personal data.
To view and download the 2019 report, please visit
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/paypal-releases-2019-global-impact-report-301047271.html